I am available for freelance

Welcome, I'mCrystal McDermott

Where Art and Tech Meet

Download Resume

J.Hilburn CRM Tool

J.Hilburn, a luxury men’s clothier, was in need of a UX specialist to come in and evaluate the CRM tool used by their stylists.


Previous client profile look and feel

Previous client profile look and feel

Project Challenges:

J.Hilburn brought me onboard as a short term UX team of one to help them evaluate their current CRM model. Though the project had been developed in an agile environment making the product fairly well streamlined and maintained, it still needed quite a few usability enhancements.

The most significant issue for the tool was the Customer Profile page. The image you see to the left is about 1/3 of the total length of the page. It was quite a lot of data to put into one spot and the needed daily tasks for the stylists was buried in multiple spots below the fold.

Observation and interview notes

Observation and interview notes

My Solution:

Working at J.Hilburn was one of those rare diamond moments we UXers so seldom get throughout our careers…access to the end user anytime, any day I wanted. This project was a real treat!

So of course my first step was to take a pen and paper and go to the local J.Hilburn store. I was able to interview in-store employees as well as freelance stylists about their pain points with the web application, in particular the Profile page. I also did silent observation of the stylists with their customers as they used the application to enter in the needed information. Between these two methods I was able to envision the fixes needed by the tool as a whole experience.

Sketch of updated profile page

Sketch of updated profile page

Back at the office I would take that day’s data and gather it into a cohesive set of enhancements. The team would meet, assign priority, and then I would sketch out some solutions, as seen by the example image to the left. Once the team and I collaborated on the enhancements desired and their priority, I set to work on creating the wireframes.

Final Outcome:

The wireframes (see example image below) were created in Axure. I took the key actions needed each day by the stylist and put them on the home page. I then “chunked” the other pieces of information into separate pages with an easy to use side navigation bar. As a final step I took the wires into the store and tested them with the stylists. With these changes usability of the product was increased significantly.

Updated profile page

Updated profile page

Thank you so much for reading! Due to privacy concerns this prototype is password protected but you can get more information by contacting me at crysllewis@gmail.com.